Healthier Living | Child Safety | Eco Friendly Tips

WaterCop Lead Free Brass Water Valves Meet Drinking Water Standards for All 50 States

by Barbara 5. February 2011 09:49

Question about the WaterCop Sergeant Basic Water Damage Actuator, Water Valve and Sensor Package with Low Lead Valve

Q: "I live in California. I want to install a WaterCop to protect my condominum from future water damage. Our condo association was not happy, nor was I, when repairs from a leaking dishwasher caused over $20,000 in repair costs from a leaking water dispensing refrigerator leak. I am encouraging the entire condo association to install WaterCops and moisture sensors to add protection and keep our insurance premiums down. Does this unit meet the specifications for California lead? Thanks. Tom.

Answer: Dynaquip controls has added what are called "lead free" or "low lead" brass full port water valves as an option to their Water Cop line. These valves comply with the California AB1953 Standard as well as the Vermont S.152 Ultra Low Lead Law. The cost of these units is more because making brass with little or no lead adds considerable expense to manufacturing.

The electrical actuator and moisture sensors are identical to the original units.

To protect your condominium community, please advise your condo board that WaterCop units and sensors should be ordered pre-set from the factory. We've handled orders like this in the past. What we need to know is the number of units and the number of sensors and adapters (most prefer AC rather than battery powered sensors). By numbering the units say 1 through 50, your condo community can be assured that if there is a leak in say Unit 101, that the unit next door will continue to have water because the actuator and sensor settings will be different!

If your community plans to expand, the best approach is to have the WaterCop ready lead free valves installed during the initial construction. Then the actuators and water sensors can be added later just prior to occupancy.  Why pay twice for a water valve!.

Currently, these units are available in 1/2 inch valve, 3/4 inch valve , 1 inch valve and 1 1/4 inch valve sizes. The 1 1/4 inch actuators and valves are more expensive: the power requires to quickly open and close the valve is higher for the larger valves. Remember you can reduce the size of a water line to fit a smaller valve. The most popular sizes are the 3/4 inch and the 1 inch.

Thanks for your question. Please contact us for a quotation when your condo association is ready to install the WaterCops. One condo association reported to us that they were close to being uninsurable until they installed the WaterCops. Then the yearly premiums dropped 15%.



Operation of a WaterCop Motorized Actuator When the Power Fails

by Barbara 11. January 2008 05:16

Q regarding a WaterCop Motorized Actuator with 3/4 Inch Valve: "I would like to use the WaterCop to shut off water flow to my home when I am going to be away. My plan is to install a remote wall switch near my back door.

  • Should the power fail, what is the un-powered condition of this valve?
  • In other words, does this valve automatically close when the power fails?
  • Or, does the valve stay in whatever condition it was in when the power failed? Thank you"

Answer: The 3/4 inch low lead brass ball valve remains in the same position (open or closed) as it was in when the power shuts off. So, if the valve was open, it remains open. If the valve is in a closed position, unscrew the actuator (4 screws) and use a wrench to open the water valve. Plug in the actuator when the power is restored and push the green button. Then reinstall the actuator to the valve platform. Remember if you want to use the WaterCop actuator as an automatic water shut off valve that responds to water leaks, you can buy the WaterHound moisture sensors separately. Just make sure the sensors and the actuator have the same "code" set.

Feel free to contact us if you have other questions about our products.

Sincerely, Barbara